12. Intrinsic motivation
Factors of employee engagement
Intrinsic motivation is a determining factor for employee engagement and job satisfaction. This driver describes the extent to which the employee considers his work valuable. Intrinsic motivation is influenced by a few essential factors; being able to determine for yourself how you work, the opportunity to continuously improve yourself and the opportunity to do things that are meaningful.
It is one of the 15 drivers in the scientific Employee Happiness Model®.
Improve employee engagement through the 15 drivers of the Employee Happiness Model
It is important to gain insight into what makes your employees enthusiastic, happy and productive. What are their motives? You can find this out by scanning the 15 factors of engagement. But you can’t do everything at once. So first focus on the theme where you think the most impact can be achieved, simply or quickly!
Intrinsic motivation, together with the drivers Salary & benefits, Appreciation and Learning & development, forms the theme 'Job' in 2DAYSMOOD's Employee Happiness Model and measuring method.
15 drivers of employee happiness and engagement
Leadership, appreciation, work-life balance, ...
• The buttons to turn to increase happiness
• The 15 drivers: Employee Happiness Model
• The scientific basis i.c.w. Utrecht University
Employee Happiness Model > theme job
This theme is about what an organization can offer the employee in exchange for their work and the commitment that contributes to the overall performance of the organization. This can be about intrinsic factors (e.g. appreciation) and extrinsic factors (e.g. monetary).
By measuring how satisfied employees are with the four drivers in this theme, you discover in which ways they get satisfaction from their work and how you can (continue to) motivate them.
Checklist: how does intrinsic motivation influence employee engagement?
Positive influences on engagement
- Organizations that understand the importance of intrinsic motivation
- Confidence that employees will complete their tasks when they are given the freedom to decide for themselves how to do it
- Managers who support employees in the practice of autonomy, competence and meaning
Negative influences on engagement
- The idea that regular business hours and office attendance are essential guidelines for high performance
- Convey a sense of trust to employees too little or never at all
- Micromanagement and unnecessary control mechanisms
AttentionThey are being heard!
FeedbackFast and anonymous
PerspectiveMore work happiness
InsightPoints to improve!
Data drivenMonitor effects
ResultsEnergetic work climate
Why (HR) directors investigate the 15 drivers
You can see the 15 drivers in the Employee Happiness Model as measurable factors that have a negative or positive impact on employee happiness and engagement. By increasing satisfaction with these factors, you can improve stress, vitality, productivity and employee turnover!
Within your own team(s), you can check how the drivers are doing, via our fast measuring method. You will work data-driven: through an analysis of satisfaction and importance, you discover where you can make impact immediately.
Leverage the science
Profit from happiness
Absenteeism decreases by 66% when employees in your organization are engaged
Happy and engaged employees are 50% more motivated to do their work
Happy employees spend 80% of their work week focused on what they are paid to do
Do you want to increase happiness in your team or organization? Collect feedback on a specific subject? Monitor stress and satisfaction in real-time? Or do you need a baseline survey to get insight in the strengths and risks of your working climate?
We are happy to help with your specific challenge, using:
- Our expertise, experience and energy!
- Data from your teams (via a quick scan)
- Leave your details here so we can get in touch
- We will discuss your challenges and give advice
- After a live demo we will propose a starting plan
Questions for our strategic happiness expert?
Dr. Marvin Deitz
+1 877 560 5790